Metasploit is an open-source framework written in Ruby . It is written to be an easy to customizable framework, so that if you want to build custom features using Ruby, you can easily do that via plugins and also make your own exploits. In this article we will see how to install Metasploit in Ubuntu Server or in any VPS provider.
What is the Metasploit?
The Metasploit framework is an awesome tool which can be used by security professionals, as well as ethical hackers to find and exploit vulnerabilities on networks and servers. Also it’s an open-source framework, it can be easily customized as per needs and used with most operating systems
Features of Metasploit
Metasploit offers a number ways to exploits that you can use on the existing vulnerabilities in the vulnerable target system. These exploits can be divided into two categories:
- Active Exploits — Active exploits will run on a vulnerable target system, exploit the system, give you access or perform a specific task, and then exit.
- Passive Exploits — Passive exploits will wait until the vulnerable target system connects to the exploit. This approach is often used by hackers on the internet asking you to download files or software. Once you do, you connect yourself to a passive exploit running on the hacker’s computer.
How to Install Metasploit in Ubuntu ?
Follow these steps to How install Metasploit Framework in Ubuntu Server or in any VPS provider
- First of all, update your system using the commands
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
- Execute the following commands in the terminal so that that required package and dependencies will be installed.
apt install -y build-essential zlib1g zlib1g-dev libpq-dev libpcap-dev libsqlite3-dev ruby ruby-dev
- Also, install the git which will be used in the next step.
sudo apt install git -y
- After these, Clone the Metasploit Framework and enter into directory using the following command
git clone https://github.com/rapid7/metasploit-framework.git && cd metasploit-framework/
- Again run the following command which will help to install further dependencies of the Metasploit
sudo gem install bundler
- Run the following command which will install all the required dependencies, it will take some time to install all the dependencies so please wait and let it install
- If you followed all the steps carefully then you should have install Metasploit in Ubuntu Server. Now in the same directory execute the following command and you will see working Metasploit in your Ubuntu.
In this tutorial, we showed the steps to install the Metasploit on Ubuntu Server(VPS) . If you have any problems while your installation process, you can comment below.
If you have any error getting reverse shell due to networking/port problem then check this article to setup inbound rules according to your VPS provider.
If you are interested to Setup Private Burp Collaborator- Click Here